When did you decide to become an architect?
I liked drawing and painting and I wanted to be an artist but in the 8th grade we had to research careers and I thought that I would make more money as an architect so I chose
2) drafter (because I wasn’t sure I would be able to do the math for architecture) 3) artist.
If you weren’t an architect, you would be …
What did you listen to on this morning’s commute?
I work from home, so I usually listen to NPR, music or an architecture podcast
(these are all friends of mine) and a lot of different music depending on what mood i’m in:
- EntreArchitect (shameless plug for my episode) (Mark LePage)
- Entrearchitect podcast with michele grace hottel, architect
- Life of an Architect (Bob Borson has a new podcast with Andrew Hawkins along with his existing blog)
- “life of an architect” podcast with bob borson and andrew hawkins
- Archispeak (Neal Pann. Evan Troxel and Cormac Phalen)
- archispeak podcast
- Design Voice podcast with Catherine Meng interviews women architects
- design voice podcast with catherine meng
Coffee or tea?
I like both, but I need french roast coffee with a little bit of cream in the morning and I like tea and I should drink herbal in the afternoon… but I don’t.
Why are you serving on the ____________ (or what was your role as the _________)?
I am serving on the AIA CA Housing Forum committee as chair because I feel that we need to get involved in housing attainability for everyone in California. and I am Chair of the AIA San Diego and Palomar CRAN (Custom Residential Architecture Network) for the same reason but it is nice to network with other residential architects. It is a lot more complicated process than our clients and even other architects think, but we get to be involved in the process from start to finish within a relatively short time period and that is a great reward; I get to see most of my projects get designed and built.within a two year period.
One place you want to visit from your bucket list:
Only one? Because it’s the AIACA, I am going to pick a place in this state. Believe it or not, I have never been to Yosemite National Park, so that’s my answer!