California Architects Compete for Top Prize in the State
What do an isolated cantilevered residence, a playful-yet-sophisticated office, and a progressive medical school building have in common? They are among the winners of one of the most prestigious design award programs in the country.
Since 1982, The American Institute of Architects, California Council (AIACC) has celebrated outstanding architecture through the AIACC Design Awards program. Once again, The AIACC proudly recognizes excellence in architecture and design, announcing the recipients of this year’s Design Awards competition and celebrates the value of design.
Nearly 300 entries were reviewed by the jury. Jurors convened in San Francisco, flying in from New York, Los Angeles, and Atlanta, to discuss their top selections. Jurors included these five esteemed individuals: Gabrielle Bullock, AIA – Perkins + Will; Merrill Elam, AIA – Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects; Vivian Lee, AIA – Edmonds + Lee Architects; Jenna McKnight – Architizer Magazine; Ronnette Riley, FAIA – Ronnette Riley Architect.
All who entered should be proud as the caliber of work was extremely high—even the submittals which did not make it to the final rounds received oohs and ahhs and accolades. The jury opinion was unanimous in this regard.
Following is a list of all the winners, but each have their own unique story—both the firm and the structure. To find out more, or to schedule an interview, contact Shannon Calder 916.642.1718.
2013 Honor Awards
- GreenDot Animo Leadership High School, Los Angeles – >BROOKS + SCARPA
- NYC Multifamily, New York – NMDA, Inc.
- Health Sciences Education Building, Arizona – CO Architects
- Buck Creek Residence, Big Sur – Fougeron Architecture
Voussoir Cloud, SCIArc Gallery, Los Angeles – IwamotoScott Architecture
2013 Merit Awards
- Center for Manufacturing Innovation Metalsa CIDeVec, Monterrey Mexico – BROOKS + SCARPABROOKS + SCARPA
- Broadway Housing, Los Angeles – Daly Genik
- UCLA Outpatient Surgery and Oncology Center, Santa Monica – Michael W Folonis Architects
- UC Davis Health SystemParking Structure, Sacramento – Dreyfuss & Blackford
- Venture Capital Office Headquarters, Menlo Park – Paul Murdoch Architects
- University of California, Berkeley Biosciences Building, Berkeley – SmithGroupJJR
- 28th Street Apartments, South Los Angeles – Koning Eizenberg Architecture, Inc.
- Flip House, San Francisco – Fougeron Architecture
- Adobe Systems Utah Campus, Lehi, Utah – WRNS Studio
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center Advanced Health Sciences Pavilion, Los Angeles – HOK
- Wild Beast Pavilion, Valencia – Hodgetts + Fung
- Dapeng Geology Museum and Research Center, Shenzhen, China – lee + mundwiler architects
- Hallidie Building, San Francisco – McGinnis Chen Associates, Inc.
- eHouse, Tel Aviv, Israel – axelrod + Stept Architects
- West Hollywood Affordable Housing, West Hollywood – Patrick Tighe Architecture
- Yin Yang House, Venice – BROOKS + SCARPA
- Grupo Gallegos Creative, Huntington Beach – Lorcan O’Herlihy Architects
- Skid Row Housing Trust Management Office, Los Angeles – Lorcan O’Herlihy Architects
- Heavybit Industries, San Francisco – IwamotoScott Architecture
- One Kearny Lobby, San Francisco – IwamotoScott Architecture
- Gensler Office, Los Angeles – Gensler