Additional impactful actions include:
1. The AIA California Climate Emergency Declaration Among key initiatives, the declaration states its support of achieving carbon neutrality by 2035; acceleration of revisions to the California Building Code and Title 24 requiring zero net carbon in all new commercial buildings; phasing out fossil fuel appliances in existing buildings beginning in 2021; and the recognition and end to the inequitable impacts of Climate Change on specific California communities.
2. Excellent education delivered in courses convenient to take: The Climate Action Webinar Series, a live Zoom series featuring best practices and flexible access to its seminars through an on-demand portal 24/7/365.
3. The Climate Action Committee’s What You Can Do Now blog series, a member-to-member curated vehicle that presents information and tools to help architects and design professionals take immediate action across the built environment spectrum.
4. To increase the profile of and advance work that features best practices and innovation in sustainability strategies, performance ratings are integrated in Design Awards programs criteria.
5. The continuation of advocacy efforts by organizing coalitions centered around decarbonization and promotion of existing building reuse in the built environment, ushering in a bold new vision of building codes and standards as valuable design tools for a resource-constrained and climate-challenged future.