16 Awards: Common Denominator in All is Integrity
Sacramento, Calif.—The American Institute of Architects California Council announced the recipients of this year’s Design Awards Program.
Since 1982, The AIACC has celebrated outstanding architecture through the Design Awards program. Once again, the Association proudly recognizes excellence in architecture and design.
Over 200 entries were reviewed by the jury. Jurors convened in San Francisco, flying in from Canada, New York, Sacramento and Los Angeles, discuss their top selections. Although the members had various experience in varying locales, they unanimously agreed each project should stick to integrity, singularity, and have a holistic approach. They also took resource-efficiency into great account, noting “Sustainability should be tightly woven into the program and seen as an integral part of the design-thought.” Jurors included these five esteemed individuals: Kris Barkley, AIA, Principal and Design Director of Dreyfuss & Blackford Architects; Kevin Daly, FAIA of Kevin Daly Architects; Gwendolyn Wright; Brian MacKay Lyons, Hon. FAIA of MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects Limited, and Brigitte Shim, Hon. FAIA of Shim-Sutcliffe Architects.
Following is a list of all the recipients, but each have their own unique story—both the firm and the structure. To find out more or to schedule an interview, contact Shannon Calder : 916.642.1718.
A full gallery of this year’s recipients can be found here.
2014 Honor Awards
- Belmar Apartments, Santa Monica– Koning Eizenberg Architecture, Inc.
- UCLA Edie & Lew Wasserman Building, Los Angeles—Richard Meier & Partners Architects LLP
2014 Merit Awards
- Brecht Residence, Santa Monica—DUB studios
- UC Irvine Contemporary Arts Center, Irvine—Ehrlich Architects
- Fresno Community College, Historic Old Administration Building, Fresno—ELS Architecture and Urban Design
- Fox Theater Oakland, Oakland—ELS Architecture and Urban Design
- Hillside House, Portola Valley—Field Architecture
- Pico Branch Library, Santa Monica—Koning Eizenberg Architecture, Inc.
- CalTech Keck Institute for Space Studies, Pasadena—Lehrer Architects
- Emerson College Los Angeles, Los Angeles—Morphosis Architects
- Nicasio Residence (Crook | Cup | Bow | Twist), Nicasio—Schwartz and Architecture
- 680 Folsom, San Francisco—Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- DeTurk Round Barn Historic Renovation, Santa Rosa—TLCD Architecture
- BBC New Broadcasting House, London, England—HOK
For more information or to schedule an interview, contact Shannon Calder 916.642.1718.